Looking fresh, not wilted, isn't always easy. When you live in Seattle and aren't accustomed to heat, it can be even trickier. Here are some simple hacks to help you look as lovely as the summer day.
1. Use a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen instead of foundation. It does triple duty - protection and much needed moisture while blurring lines and little imperfections. We love SkinMedica's Total Defense and Repair. With SPF 34 and skin loving anti-oxidants, it's the absolute best because it's effective skin care, too. (Pushing it over the top: it's an excellent primer when you absolutely need to use foundation.)
2. Use waterproof mascara and eyeliners, even if you aren't going to be in the water. We love Dior's Blackout Waterproof Mascara. It's sweat and smudge proof, too. Gel eyeliner (like MAC's Fluidline) has real staying power. Be warned, you may need to use eye makeup remover to get these beauties off - they're that good.
3. Use a baking soda and water paste to erase self-tanner mistakes. Just rub it on the telltale smears. Stand in the shower or on a towel to make paste cleanup easy.
4. Antiperspirant on the back of your neck prevents sweating when blow drying your hair. Yes, it works.
5. Lemon juice and water (equal parts) as a pre-wash removes sweat stains from clothing. Because nobody looks fresh with armpit stains...not even you lovelies.
6. Try bronzer, not self-tanner, on your face. You don't want to look Trump-like, so use the right shade in the right places to look sun-kissed, not orange. There are no face self-tanners we've found that look as good as a light dusting of bronzer.
7. Blot, don't rub, sweat and oils from your face. If you don't, you'll just smear your makeup.
8. Use dry shampoo to keep hair from falling flat. It adds volume and texture to hair styles.
9. Use an anti-aging body lotion. Your complexion may stop at your chin (or is it your neck...or chest?) but all of your skin ages. Image Skincare's Spa Rejuvenating Lotion or Cell U Lift Lotion provides some of the same great anti-aging ingredients your face loves - glycolic acid, retinol, antioxidants, and peptides. You'll feel more confident in showing more skin.
10. Carry anti-chafing gel at all times. Summer dresses are amazing. Sweaty, sticky thighs not so much. Powder works for too short of time. Welcome anti-chafing gel, like Monistat's Complete Care Chafing Relief Powder Gel or Lanacane Anti-Chafing Gel last much, much longer. Not to worry, the gel dries to a powdery feel, silky feel. And don't we all deserve silk?